Tuesday, March 04, 2014

What is a Christian?


         There’s been a lot of attention in the Media lately about people who identify themselves as Christians, and that attention has been incredibly negative.  These are the people you see supporting laws to discriminate against gay people, loudly opposing evolution, picketing funerals, and wanting to keep teenagers from having access to birth control, just to name a few examples.  And as I scan Facebook, I am becoming concerned that many have already decided that this is what it is to be a Christian.  But I am a Christian.  And as a Christian, I refuse to quietly allow these people to define me and what I believe, and to dominate the public perception of what a Christian really is.

I know there are Christians out there who are hateful towards gays or antagonistic towards science, but I don't think the Bible says you have to do those things to be a Christian (or even that you should.)  I think those beliefs are a faulty interpretation of God’s love and teachings that contradict other things the Bible says, and I think they harm the message of Christ more than non-Christians ever could.  I think Christians should be a force for good in the world and not a cause of hatred and misunderstanding.  And I’m not alone.

I think you can believe in the Bible and still not have issues with your children being taught evolution.  I think you can believe in God and still marvel at science and its discoveries.  I do.  And instead of feeling like science is a threat to any of my beliefs, I think it is an awesome explanation of a world I believe God set in motion.  I’m a Christian who doesn’t think science is my enemy or anyone else’s.  And I know a lot of other Christians like me.

I also think hating any group of people, or trying to discriminate against them through the law is not only wrong, but it’s in direct opposition to Jesus’ command to love our neighbors (and his directive that all mankind are our neighbors.)  I personally don't feel a desire to legislate my morality for all to follow.  My only desire is to lead my life as an example of what the principles I believe in can do if you live them.  Jesus didn’t challenge the government of his day or try to change their laws to support his teachings; but he did tell his disciples to go out and share and heal and help.  That’s what I try to do, too.  I don't want to force my beliefs on others. But I do want to share the joy that has resulted in my own life from Christ's presence in it with anyone who wants to know what caused that joy.  And I know many other committed Christians who feel the same way as I do, and who can happily tolerate and live side-by-side with other ideas and beliefs without desiring to force their own on anyone; these Christians only want to share the love and joy in their lives, when asked what the reason for it is, with anyone who wants to listen.  They don’t want to beat people over the head with their beliefs.  But they are eager to share their happiness if someone wants to listen.  And they appreciate when others share with them in turn.

I'm not pretending people haven't done horrible things in the name of Christianity. But I would ask the world not to forget the great things that were done because of Christian beliefs as well. I don't think the bad should cancel out the good, and I think Christians have to keep striving towards helping the good make up for the bad.  Please remember that Martin Luther King Jr was a Christian.  Mother Teresa was a Christian.  William Wilberforce was a Christian.  People like Desmond Tutu and Jim Wallis and Madeleine Albright are Christians, all who do what they do because of their faith.  I have Christian friends who actively fight against human trafficking, provide free medical care to those in need, and even bake cookies for prisoners because they are Christian.  I know Christians who send money, humanitarian aid, and workers to 3rd world countries to help stem the flow of disease and poverty.  I know Christians who teach in inner city schools to try and right the inequality of education.  For every one Christian who responds to others with fear and hate, I know many many more who are doing all they can to combat the fear and hate in the world with love and help.  And all because of the gratitude and appreciation they have for what Jesus did in their lives, and because of the thousands of verses in the Bible that tell us to care for the poor and victimized and disadvantaged.

I have never felt constricted or trapped by this faith.  On the contrary, I have felt freed in a way I don't believe would have been possible without it.  I have been liberated from my fatalism, and no longer believe I am "stuck" a certain way, but am always capable of positive change and growth.  I know I am a naturally selfish person.  But my capacity to love and care for others has greatly increased because of my belief in a God who cares and loves all of us.  I don’t feel like being Christian prevents me from learning about other views, opinions, or lifestyles, and it certainly doesn’t keep me from interacting with everyone around me.  I live in the world and love it, even if I don’t value everything about it.  But I value all the people in it, and that’s because of my belief in Jesus and his redemptive love.  I want to make this world better, because of what God made better for me.  I think it’s a beautiful, wonderful, and important place and that I have a duty to care for it.  And I’m eager to do that alongside Christians and people of all other faiths and beliefs.

We all know people who call themselves Christians and who have twisted the teachings in the Bible to justify hateful and ignorant views.  But for every one person like that, I know many many more whose lives are better, freer, and more vibrant for their faith, and who interpret the Bible as a message of love, hope, and joy. I am not trying to dispute atheists' and agnostics' assertions that their lives are this way as well.  I have many friends who hold those views and came to them after personal study and reflection, and others who are still seeking and don’t claim to have it figured out one way or another whether a God plays into this world.  I respect their rights and their conclusions.  This isn’t a post against them or their beliefs or their ideas.  I try to do more than just tolerate; I love and cherish them, whether I agree or not.  They are not my enemies.

I just don't want the public image of a Christian to be someone who is mean, ignorant, and trapped.  Because the vast majority of Christians I know are nothing like that.  We may not be as interesting as the people embroiled in public debates and legal battles that you see in the Media.  We may not get as much attention on Facebook or TV.  But we're real!  I know because I am one of these Christians.  Many of my friends are these Christians.  And many others around the world are these Christians.

Who are these Christians?  These Christians are Catholic, non-denominational, Mormon, Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Messianic Jews, and others.  They are many types and kinds, many races and cultures, but they are all one class: a class of Christian who loves their neighbor, helps where they can, and is hesitant to judge others because they are well aware of their own faults and failings.  We are not perfect but we DO exist.

I'm not asking the world to ignore the hateful and hurtful people who call themselves Christians and who blow up the airwaves with their latest antics that make other non-Christians feel threatened, judged, and discriminated against - they need to be answered for and countered.  They bother me just as much as they bother non-Christians, or I wouldn’t be writing this now.  But I just can't bear it if the world forgets there is another class of Christians who love and help and share others’ hurts because of their faith.  And from where I'm standing, we are the ones in the majority, even if we're not as interesting to Facebook and the rest of the Media.  Don't forget us and don't discount us.  We're still struggling to make ourselves known and heard.  We may not be as vocal or as visual.  But we're toiling away quietly, doing all we can as well.  And I think that’s something worth talking about.

Don’t know a Christian like that?  Look harder.  I promise you we exist.  And even if you don’t see a single one around you, there’s still me.  I’ll be your friend.  Whether you share my beliefs or not.  Because the way I understand my faith, that’s just what Christians do.

Galatians 6:9 "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

Ephesians 2:10 " For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do"

Mark 12:28-31 28 “One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, ‘Of all the commandments, which is the most important?’ 29“The most important one,’ answered Jesus, ‘is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these’.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home